Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Hot dog bun breadsticks!



I don't know about you but I'm starting to think that our family is incapable of finishing an 8 count package of hot dog buns. We'll use them for the intended purpose but we'll always have 3, 2 or 1 left in the pack and we are bad about coming back and finishing them off. And then they get moldy and I get sad as I throw them away. So I started putting the buns in a freezer bag and freezing them but rather than defrosting them to use as regular hot dog buns (which you could do), I like to thaw them and make them into breadsticks!


Too simple really... pull out however many you need a few hours before hand to thaw on a paper towel. Slice them the rest of the way through, butter the tops (gotta be real butter!), sprinkle with garlic salt and parsley then bake at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes and broil on low until browned as desired. Make sure not to overbake! Being so thin they cook much faster than you'd expect and you could end up with extra crispy bread!

My favorite part, besides the buttery taste, is that they are basically FREE because they otherwise would've ended up in the trash!

And yes... I do this with hamburger buns as well! If I don't make them into garlic bread discs then I'll butter and toast them to use for things like open face sloppy joes... MMmmmmm *drool*

No comments:

Post a Comment