Monday, April 7, 2014

Cheap laundry soap and last minute freebies?! Oh my!!

So... a typical bottle of All Laundry Detergent is around $4.97 on any given day at Wal-Mart for a 28 load bottle or a 24 count package of the All Mighty Packs. CVS had put these size packages on sale 2/$7.00 this week and when you spend $20 on select items (including this laundry detergent) you get $5 in ECB's back! Pretty good deal right?! I thought so... I also got super excited when I saw a coupon for a FREE 120 count pack of the new All Dryer Sheets WYB 2 All Detergents in last Sunday's RedPlum insert. So I figured that makes this deal even better!

Unfortunately for me... not only does my CVS not carry this new All brand dryer sheets but they have been out of stock on the All Detergent for about 2 weeks and they have no idea when it will be in stock again. Apparently the warehouse is completely out of stock and all cases are on back order. These ladies were super nice offering to give me a rain check and discounting for the coupons even if they expire before the shipment comes in. I told them a big "Thank you!" but decided to ponder this situation further because I wanted to submit for the Checkout 51 rebate but that would expire before their next shipment comes in. So this morning I figured that I'd stop in at Wal-Mart (early when it's less painful!) and check out their laundry department to see if I could get a comparable deal... and I found one!


Not only did they carry the 120 count boxes of the new All Dryer Sheets but all of their 24 ct Mighty Packs were upgraded to 25% more packs and the 28 load bottles were upgraded to the 35 load bottles! Thankfully I had remembered the CVS ad and I went to checkout by price matching. Now I knew this was likely going to need approval since the bottle/pack quantities were larger than the ad reflected but I figured that I had a shot since these packs had the ad quantity "slashed" through promoting the 25% bonus in the bag. The next challenge would be if the manager would approve letting me use the FREE All Dryer Sheets coupon in conjunction with the $2/2 All Detergent coupon. This is a gray area for sure... at least in my experience. Because I am still paying for the detergent I should be able to use the coupon to get the dryer sheets for free but really it is up to the cashier to question or manager's approval to discount. AND THEY DID! I had no line behind me... I was all smiles... and not only did the cashier except the price match without question but the manager went ahead and allowed me to use all the coupons as I intended! AWESOME!

So let me break down the deal so we can see which scenario is more beneficial:

At CVS (detergent only):

Buy 6 of All 28 load bottle $21.00
Get $5.00 ECB at checkout!
Get $1.00 Checkout 51 rebate if purchased before 4/9/14 11:59pm
Use (3) $2.00/2 coupons
Price per bottle after ECB, coupons and rebate: $1.50
Price per LOAD: $.05

At Wal-Mart (price matched w/dryer sheet deal):

Buy 6 of All 28 load bonus bottles (makes it 35 load bottles!) $21.00 price matched
Buy 3 of All 120 count dryer sheets $11.91 (FREE with coupons)
Use (3) $2.00/2 coupons
Use (3) FREE All Dryer Sheets coupons {-$11.91}
Get $1.00 Checkout 51 rebate if purchased before 4/9/14 11:59pm
Price per bottle after price match, coupons and rebate: $2.33
Price per LOAD: $.06
BONUS!! 360 DRYER SHEETS FREE!

Don't get me wrong... I absolutely LOVE CVS and I shop there religiously! But sometimes just because you get an ECB doesn't mean it's the best deal in town with current coupons available. For me it's worth it to pay a penny more per load to get an 18 month supply of dryer sheets for free!! I'm constantly running deal scenarios through my brain and though it can get annoying from time to time I wouldn't change it for anything because it makes me more hesitant to jump on the first deal I see. I also know that this might not be the most amazing laundry detergent deal out there or there has ever been BUT in my neck of the woods - we don't see deals like this often so this is an amazing deal in Kansas!!

Combining these coupons is definitely a gray area but it is definitely worth asking to use them together! There is no restriction other than size on the coupons so it doesn't hurt to ask!!



I know that I already posted my CVS shopping trip for the week but I just had to stop in and swipe my extracare card at the coupon center and of course what happens? A flood of coupons came spewing out! Fortunately for me, none of these coupons would have benefited me more yesterday BUT there were a couple coupons that I could use to grab a couple more things in another mini couponing trip! Coupons are my drug... I can't get enough!

Here's my mini CVS trip for today!

2 - Crest ProHealth 250ml $5.98 - [$1 CVS coupon] = $4.98 or $2.49 each!
2 - BIC Soleil Savvy 4  $12.43 - [$6 coupons][$3 CVS coupon] = $3.43 or $1.71 each!

ECB's used at checkout: $4.00

Total Retail Price: $24.96 plus tax.
Total Price Paid: $4.41 plus tax!!
That's about 83% savings!!

... and I still have $4 ECB's to use next week!! (or if I get the urge to stop in for another mini trip this week!)

If you can't tell... there's ALWAYS more deals to find!


No comments:

Post a Comment