Thursday, March 20, 2014

Fancy Shmancy Frugal Salad!



I enjoy a good salad but sometimes they can get a little boring. Same old dressing, same old veggies...

There are so many things out there that you can throw onto a salad, some items are cheaper than others. One thing is for certain that it is definitely not as cheap to eat healthy as one would hope. So I present to you my favorite Fancy Shmancy Frugal Salad!

Bagged salad mix costs only a hair more than just buying a head of lettuce these days so if I am just making myself a salad for lunch I'll just use that and spread it out over the week. But if you are using a whole head of lettuce you can make a massive amount of salad! Just add a couple shaved carrots and some shaved purple cabbage and you've got your own salad mix on steroids! I also make my own vinaigrette salad dressing because it is cheaper than buying dressings (usually) and it contains a lot less preservatives and a lot less calories. I top the salad with feta cheese, a dried tropical fruit mix and a crunchy salad topping mix. Super satisfying, super cheap and super yum!



Ingredients for the salad:
Bagged Salad Mix (Wal-Mart $3.48 massive bag)
Dried Tropical Fruit Mix (Dollar Tree for $1)
Feta Cheese 6oz (Wal-Mart $1.97)
Crunchy Salad Toppin's (Wal-Mart $1.97 but will last a LONG time)

Makes 6 individual salads for approx. $1.20 each

Dress the salad with this easy Honey Mustard Vinaigrette!


No comments:

Post a Comment