Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Sorry Starbucks... I win!



One of my best mommy friends has a massive obsession with Starbucks. I shared her obsession while we worked together. On our busiest days we would take a break and she'd get her Caramel Macchiato and I'd get my Caramel Mocha. When I quit my job, I put a major halt on any and all extravagant coffee purchases but that doesn't mean that I don't yearn for it!

So what do you do when you want something but refuse to pay $5.00 for a cup of it? You adjust and adapt!

It's almost sad how something so expensive at a specialty shop can turn out to be so cheap when you make it yourself at home... and the calories saved surely don't hurt. I found that I can achieve a wonderful Caramel Mocha Beverage at home using 3 ingredients.

Items Needed:
8 oz of Mocha Blend Coffee (approx. $.10)
1/2 cup Fat Free Half & Half (or you could use milk or half of each!) (approx. $.10)
3 or 4 caramels (approx. $.15)
Whipped Topping (optional)






I use my Keurig to brew a single 8 oz cup of coffee or you can reheat leftover from a pot.
Put half & half and caramels in a small pan and warm over medium heat whisking very often to keep the dairy from scorching. Once the caramels are completely melted, whisk in coffee. Then pour into your favorite coffee cup! If you're feeling extra frugal-fancy add a couple dollops of whipped topping.

Here we have a Gourmet Caramel Mocha for only around $.35!! Psssh - $5.00, yeah right.
Sorry Starbucks... I win!


No comments:

Post a Comment